Friday, June 11, 2010

Self Pity in AA.

A Reading on
"Self-Pity"

Self-pity is a very dangerous emotion. Self-pity blocks reality ... it puts up walls so we cannot get positive messages ... so we cannot even hear our Higher Power.

Self-pity brings us down to the far depths of despair and depression and neither of these are good companions.
When we think that we deserve to feel sorry for ourselves, and especially when we want others to feel sorry for us, we are indulging in negative thinking.

Self-pity leads us back to immaturity and irresponsibility, to wanting to feel better at any price, to the danger of returning to our addictions, compulsions and obsessions. Self-pity can lead us back to dis-ease.

Today I refuse to allow the magnetic tape of self-pity
to trap me. Today I avoid negative thinking
and replace it as soon as I notice it is present in me.

No comments: